Believing that we are called to be Christ’s hands and feet in the world, we seek to serve those in need. Through outreach and mission, we seek to assist those in need beyond our local congregation. These needs may be local, national, or international. Each year we evaluate and adjust our priorities, committing both monies and labor to projects and needs that are identified.
Each year we participate in 4 special offerings through the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.): One Great Hour of Sharing at Easter, Pentecost Offering in June, Peacemaking Offering in October, and the Christmas Joy Offering in December.
A major project each year is the Alternative Gift Market for Christmas. This project encourages giving Christmas gifts that benefit various local, regional, national and international organizations. This project is supported by both the congregation and the community at large.
There are several ministries in which we participate on a regular basis:
- Living Waters For The World- We support and promote this ministry which brings clean, inexpensive water to developing countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wili/Living_Waters_for_the_World
- Blood Drive- Working with the American Red Cross, we host a Blood Drive every other month in the Fellowship Hall of First Presbyterian Church, Murray, with members of the church serving as greeters.
- Need Line- Our congregation supports this community’s food pantry in a variety of ways. Many folks volunteer their time and we take up monthly food donations and at Thanksgiving and Christmas we contribute to holiday food baskets. They are located at: 509 North 8th Street Murray, KY. Phone: 270-227-6333
- Angels Clinic- The Angels Community Clinic fills a critical gap by providing free basic medical and dental care to the working, uninsured of Calloway County.
- Friends n Faith – This ministry is in its sixth year. We go to Hickory Woods at 3:00 p.m. on the 2nd Tuesday of each month and to Emeritus at 4:00 p.m. the same day. We begin with a devotional followed by Communion (the Lord’s Supper, Eucharist). It is coordinated by Roger Weis, a member of the Presbyterian Church in Murray. The First Christian Church and the First United Methodist Church of Murray also participate. Each church rotates responsibility for leading this monthly ministry. We welcome any who would like to participate in this very important ministry.
- WAVE – MSU student sponsored organization that is partnering with Living Waters for the World for funding, trips to install purification systems, etc. We meet once a month at 4:00 in Room 107 in the Carr Health Building at Murray State University.