In its regular monthly meeting on Monday, June 8, 2020 the Session of FPC, on the basis of medical advice, voted unanimously to postpone the opening of in-person worship services until we have a better sense of whether or not there has been a significant increase in COVID-19 cases in Western Kentucky and Calloway County. There will be no in-person worship on Sunday, June 14, but we will have a parking lot service for those in vehicles on Sunday, July 5. Following that service, the Session will reexamine the possibility of beginning in-person worship later in July.
Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic, First Presbyterian Church has not been holding in-person Worship Service, Sunday School, or any in-person activities. We do, however, plan to open the church up to some activities beginning June 1, 2020.
All visitors and staff will be required to wear a mask at all times until further notice. Please click here to refer to our June calendar and our new policies.
No matter who you are…
or where you are on life’s journey….
You are welcome here.
As a congregation in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), we are committed to compassion and justice through ministries which help people in our community and in the world at large. We know that God loves everyone and we work hard to follow the model of Christ, who loved all and sent none away.
Scripture that reflects the model of Christ’s ministry, death, and resurrection is authoritative for our faith and practice. Our congregation, like our denomination, welcomes all without regard to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or socio-economic status. We invite you to join us in serving Christ with open minds, open hearts, and open hands.
What we believe and value
Our core values:
- faithfulness to the message of our Lord Jesus Christ
We strive to be:
- a congregation willing to grapple with the tough issues of faith as they relate to the complex world in which we live. We do not have all the answers and are willing to have open dialogue and discussion with other churches, religions, and the university community so that we might make a better world now and in the future;
- a congregation with a gift for being caring and compassionate, a faith community committed to taking care of each other when times are difficult, whether through illness or circumstance–so you can be assured you will not walk alone;
- a congregation that honors God through creative worship featuring dynamic preaching and varied and inspirational music;
- a congregation where people respect one another’s differences. We have a broad variety of theological perspectives, from conservative to progressive, but we respect one another and firmly believe that we do not have to agree on everything in order to respond in love;
- a people concerned about the well-being of creation, and as such we work to preserve the environment now and for future generations. We support the work of our denomination on behalf of environmental conservation and protection;
- a congregation with a ministry presence on the campus of Murray State University. Our goal is to be a supportive and nurturing spiritual environment for students, faculty, and staff. Our Presbyterian student campus ministry group is known as M.O.T.A. (Ministry Open to All).
Together we gather…
together we seek…
together we serve…
together we grow.
Church means many things to different people. Some of us come to church seeking relief from the pressures of life. Others are reaching out for comfort and community. Still others are here to thank God for recent or on-going blessings. What we all have in common is a deep desire to know more of God and God’s will for our lives.
We believe that while our congregation gathers in this beautiful space for our worship and ministry, church is not so much a building as it is a covenant community of the people of God. We are a congregation who are still “seeking to grow in faith and discipleship,” as our charter members described us more than 80 years ago. We gather together often for worship and prayer, fellowship and play, study and service. Within the walls of this sanctuary we are both nurtured and challenged.
We invite you to learn more about us. Don’t hesitate to ask questions! Whether you are new to Murray, searching for a new family of faith, or are just passing through, we pray that your time with us would be a blessing to you!